Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A hand that came out of my discussion with Josh ...

Here is a discussion I had with Josh this morning about a hand (none of it seems personal or confidential and I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it):

joshuaashtondzl: I butchered this hand horribly and I was pretty upset about it
joshuaashtondzl:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1253270

Josh: I'm not huge on double barreling (even though I know it seems otherwise)
Josh: But this guy was a huge floater, so I figured if he had a big ace, he would have 3bet me and the line meets the float persona
Josh: Then, I get lucky - and I fuck up.
Josh: I think its possible I was ahead the whole time and he was on a flush draw
Josh: but if not, I made a relaly poor bet.

PokerXC: But he might also have like AJ ...
PokerXC: Yeah ...
PokerXC: bet smaller
PokerXC: Like $30 into $90

I was thinking about that hand and about our discussion when this hand came up:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1253447

Pre-flop and flop are standard. On the turn I want to get value out of flush draws and I want to price them in (price in/price out). River is a blank and I feel if I bet a lot he's just going to fold. I also think that if I check I might miss value out of a ten or some other random crap he's incapable of folding. So ... I bet weak like we talked about and get min-raised and call.

I think a call is correct there - if he's bluffing there is no value in raising and if he hit some sort of miracle diamonds (Ad 3d? Ad 7d? 4d 5d?) I am shoving into a worst hand. Basically ... I can't think of many worst hands that call here if I shove.

Here is the advice I got from 2+2. I don't know if I agree with it. I like Brian's advice of "Donk bet into donk players."

No comments: